Saturday, April 23, 2005

Far From Home

Last week on April 16th, The Cassini-Huygens mission (I guess it is just Cassini, since the Huygens probe is sitting on Titan) made its fifth and closest fly by to Titan. There are some beautiful pictures on NASA's web site http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.cfm.
I have to say I was a little disappointed with the limited feed back from the Huygens probe. After seeing two robots crawl all over Mars and send back millions of pictures, its tough to get excited about a single probe sitting on Titans surface with limited capability. I guess it's a amazing achievement regardless. For Nasa to shoot of a probe after traveling for seven years and 2.2 billion miles and have it land on Titan without a malfunction . I guess were just spoiled by today's technical capability and expect so much. Anyway the scientist are making ready for The 12th fly by of Saturn and 4th fly by of the moon Enceladus (which we now know also has an atmosphere). Look on the site and enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Howard Fisher said...

I did not realize Saturn has so many moons. Thanks for the link.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh come on jimmy r u really writting this stuff and if you are then what the hell are you doing at work?

1:34 PM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

Yes Danni I am really writing this stuff.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home