Sunday, May 22, 2005

Devil in the details

I need to make a correction for my last blog. At the bottom I wrote that the illustration from a BBC news article showed embryos being made without male donor sperm, and should have included the male sperm. I was wrong. After researching the Korean discovery much closer, I see that it is not the sperm that is missing. It is really not a true embryo. What is missing is the brain of the author who wrote the article.
The discovery was made by Korean scientists and the process used to create these stems cells is called Somatic nucleus cell replacement. What they do is take the nucleus from human skin cells and replace the donor egg cells nucleus and grow them into stem cells. Most scientist argue that these stem cells are not embryos, only embryo like. The Korean scientist say that these stem cells could not become human, there for are not destroying life. Its as if they can basically fertilize eggs without sperm. I don't know where I stand on this type of research. It gets more complicated by each discovery. It will only get far worse. What is very important is that the media use proper terminology. The first story I read about the Koreans discovery combined two story's. First they talked about the bill before the house this week that wants to allow more federally funded stem cell lines, and how president Bush will veto it. Then it talked about the Koreans discovery. So they made it look like Bush is against the research the Koreans did. When this bill has nothing to do with the Koreans discovery, it has to do with using actual human embryos that are not yet made. This is absolutely ridiculous. American scientists could have made the same discovery the Koreans did using federal money if they had thought of it(no embryos were even used, only donor eggs and skin cells). The media is trying to make it look like (because of Bush) our laws are keeping us behind other countries in the stem cell technology.The left wing media is so quick to make Bush look anti-science, that it will totally fuck up a story. Imagine the poor Koreans, who are probably getting calls from all the extreme right wing Idiots telling them that they're killing people. Perhaps they're discovery will be the way that stems cells that are extremely similar to embryos can be made without actually killing life. I am so sick of news articles with an agenda. This subject is so very complicated even if you were given just the facts, and now I have to read through the left wing idiots agenda to find important info. I apologize for the previous articles mistake. I pray to god that he guide our hand through this new technology. I hope that in his eyes this new line of stem cells is not life, and if it is, I hope he gives us the wisdom to see it. The devil could be in the details. As it stands now, I would be inclined to say that it is not life, but I need to learn more about the science of it before deciding.

1 Comments:

Blogger Howard Fisher said...

You are getting much better at reading news articles. Well done on your report. When you do more research as to what is actually happening in this field of science, I hope you will write some more.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home