Friday, August 25, 2006

Unselfish ?

To see true unselfishness in life does not happen. Even our most charitable acts usually have underlying motive, whether we realize it or not. Having twins I get to see something that most don't. A truely unselfish emotion. As I tickle Joshua up and down and throw him into fit of laughs. Across the room stands Lillian in her Jumparoo. She begins to smile and giggle herself. Bouncing up and down with excitement of her brothers tickle torture. No need for tickle herself. No need for any attention. I purposly hide that I am looking at her. Doesn't matter, she is taking part in her brothers fun from across the room. When I stop tickling Josh, Lilly bouncing starts to slow. She quiets right down, smile fades. Pure joy in someone elses fun. Never been taught anything about it.

Now when Josh takes her Ducky out of her hands to play with for himself, somehow she is not so unselfish. Oh well, it lasted for a moment.

6 Comments:

Blogger Howard Fisher said...

I wonder if the parent had unselfish joy in his children? :-)

Jacob siblings were having a blast with him at lunch today. 6 weeks is fun.

God Bless

Howard

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

When you gonna bring Jacob up north? Mom just told me that dad and her are comming down in Nov.

1:32 PM  
Blogger the forester said...

Fun story. What a neat dynamic to observe between your twins.

Another form of unselfishness is in your action, tickling your kid. You could be an uncaring father, reading the news or watching football or playing a videogame, but instead you're interacting with your kid, making him laugh. Has that kid ever done anything for you? Will he ever, really? Hardly. What we put into our children will never be repaid -- it's impossible considering the high cost that raising them exacts out of us. And yet we love them and play with them anyway.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

Sounds like you are having fun with those cute kids of yours! :)
Good!
When can we see more pictures?

Kendra

6:48 AM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

It has been a while since I have posted some pics, hasn't it. I will have to get some up soon.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

Forester,
Don't think I don't have my share of football games and video games, but I know what you mean. I guess I did not think of tickling as being unselfish because its so much darn fun.
If I dont say the words "tickle tickle tickle" while I am tickling them, they don't laugh as much. Try that as an experiment. Tickle your kids without a word and notice their reaction, then do it with the all out verbalization.

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home