Friday, June 16, 2006

Ten Years After

"The actual benefits may be a decade or more away" is the statement of Dr. George Daley of Bostons famed Childrens hospital. It just seems like I've heard that statement before. What is he talking about? One of the most promising medical breakthroughs that will someday cure everything, Embryonic Stem cell research. It just seems like I started hearing that decade thing......hmmmm....... Somewhere around ten years ago. So why is Dr. Daley making this repetitive statement? Because Harvard University is now in the embryonic stem cell business. http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/06/07/harvard.cloning.ap/index.html
I have written a few blogs on my opinion of embryonic stem cell research, so I wont bore you by repeating. One of the points of this post is to show how the federal ban on funding embryonic stem cell research does not prevent the research at all. It just keeps people like me that don't believe it is ethical, from paying for it. Harvard's' research is 100 percent privately funded. I still don't agree with it, but at least I am not footing the bill. So while everyone bashed Bush for not funding the research saying he is holding back the science is nothing more than poppycock. The reason I mock the 10 year thing is because science has proved that a more ethical pursuit of using adult stem cells and cord blood stem cells is much more effective, and science is finding that adult and cord blood stem cells are more pluripotient than once thought. Yet embryonic stem cells make headlines, time and time again, even though they have never, ever, ever, ever, not even once, helped one person in any way. While cord blood stem cells help humans to walk that were once paralyzed. So ten years from now when the promise of embryonic stem cell research is only ten years away, we will perhaps see cord blood stem cells repairing every imaginable part of the body. If only there was a way to make adult and cord blood stem cells a controversial issue, perhaps Harvard wouldn't mind funding more research on them.

3 Comments:

Blogger Howard Fisher said...

"If only there was a way to make adult and cord blood stem cells a controversial issue, perhaps Harvard wouldn't mind funding more research on them."

I agree.

:-)

6:38 PM  
Blogger the forester said...

Excellent post. Why can't everyone else see the propaganda machinery for what it is?

Besides, are we really that willing to become a cannibalistic culture in order to achieve the fountain of youth? And what a pathetic fountain anyway: another decade or two of old age ...

6:55 PM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

I agree. One of the sad things is that due to the contraversy. The U.S. is so busy with embryonic stem cells that it seems we are not the forerunner on the stem cell technology that really works. I keep reading articles about cord blood stem cells partially curing paralysis, and I dont think I've read once that it was done in the U.S. (I could be wrong about that). But all of the success storys I read about are in other countries

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home