Saturday, June 17, 2006

My Morning Poet

3:30 a.m. It takes my eyes a moment to adjust. Their room is darker than the hallway. I can see his profile good enough, his blanket beside him. As I fix his blanket and tuck it under him I can slowly start to see his face. He is smiling at me. Eyes of joy wide open.

"da da da da" and other playful cooing to go along with, comes from is ready face.

"Shhh, you'll wake up your sister" I gently whisper, but his excitement only grows from my response.

The cool clean air of almost ready morning sunshine invigorates him, and is rubbing off on me. You know... that feeling that morning is just about here. The peepers now quiet waiting for the first bird chirp to break the silence. I want to pick him up and start our playful morning ritual, but I've got only 55 minutes till the alarm goes off. Today won't be one of those days submerged in twin happiness. Today is a work day! Fourteen and a half hours without them. One last tuck and I head back to my room and lay back down. I hear him babbling loud and clear through the monitor. He goes on and on for the next 45 minutes. Every word full of cheer and good spirit. He is enjoying his pre-morning time by himself. Trying out new sounds, different volumes, different pitches. Figuring out just what his voice box is capable of. At times it seems as if he is trying to sing. I lay there listening, at times almost chuckling at awkward phrases, at times realizing I am loosing my final minutes of rest. Finally he falls back to sleep. I start to drift off. Just as I am about gone, there goes the alarm clock like a wrong answer on Family Feud, over and over again till I fight my way to the button.

It's Ok Joshua, I'll trade my sleep for your story telling anytime!

3 Comments:

Blogger Howard Fisher said...

"It's Ok Joshua, I'll trade my sleep for your story telling anytime!"

Well said dad. Happy Father's Day!

:-)

12:14 PM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

Happy Father's Day!

8:31 PM  
Blogger the forester said...

Nice post! What a great way to commemorate those early morning hours in words.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home