Friday, September 16, 2005

Cant wait to pay more for gas?

I want to weigh in my opinion about the oil crisis. I just filled my home heating oil tank a couple of weeks ago, cost me about 550 dollars, and that was only 2.60 a gallon. I got it one day before the big hike to 3.30. I really cant afford that. I'll have to cut back elsewhere. I will have baby's in the house this winter, so I will have to run the heat high. That will cost me a bundle I'm sure. I have a hundred mile round trip to work every day. Thank god I have a Toyota Carolla (39 miles to the gallon), but it still cost me 35 bucks to fill instead of the 20 of a couple of years ago. Yes I am complaining, just like everyone else, I'm hit hard. Imagine the old widowed lady, can barely make ends meet. How is she gonna heat her house this year? It will hurt many Americans, this fuel crisis of ours. And yes I understand that this is not a simple supply and demand situation. That this crisis is fabricated by the oil executives. And I am tickled pink by it all ! Why ? You may ask. Why is this one of the best things that ever happened to America ? Because of a simple rule. That rule is "necessity is the mother of invention". I'll give you an example. How long have we been hearing of these hybrid cars? Since the late 80's ? The technology certainly is not new. So what's the problem, why did it take so long for the hybrid to appear in full force? Its simple, no demand. What reason did anyone have to buy a hybrid. Gas has been so cheap for so long. Today there is a 4 to 6 month wait for a Toyota hybrid. Where do you think Toyota is putting a large part of their R&D money right now. I can tell you there not trying to come out with a big gas guzzling SUV. I can guarantee they are putting money into fuel cell technology, solar assisted electric-gas cars, rotary engines, ect. Like I said, Nessesity is the mother of invention.
I'll give another example. For about 10 to 14 thousand dollars you could wire up your house to run on solar power. For about 20 grand you could do solar power and heat. With the average electric bill under 100 bucks a month, it would take at least 10 years to get that money back. Who the heck is gonna do that? Last month I paid over 250 dollars just for electricity. Guess what, 4 or 5 years to get that money back doesn't sound so bad. I may consider it if gas goes up any more.
All this being said, there will be growing pains. You will hear horror storys about this person not having heat or that person can't afford to drive to work and gave up his job. You may even experience a horror story yourself. At the very least you will have to make some sacrafices. In the end things will be better. We can loose this demonic dependancy to oil. It will be a beuitiful thing. These oil execs are shooting themselfs in the foot and they don't even know it. Other countries have been paying outrageous prices for years. It may sound conceited, but when it happens to America, things will change. Be prepared for the growing pains. You will undoubtedly feel them in some way, but look to the future. The day when your selling electricity to the electric company. The day you stop and get 10 dollars worth of hydrogen and drive for 4 weeks before your fuel cell needs another fill up. The day you heat your house for free with passave solar hot water. Worst case senerio, the price of gas drops back down within affordable range, and all the things I talked about never come to fruition. Then our sons and daughters can deal with the problem later, but I was really hoping we would see it and deal with it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

Very well put. I enjoyed reading this post. :)
My husband and father-in-law would totally agree with you! They are both looking forward to the new hybrid cars....I'll forward this post to my husband. :)
Thanks.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Howard Fisher said...

Maybe if we didn't have all of these regulations there would be more competition. Of course, perhaps the technology is better now.

This is what I believe happens when government gets in the way. So we can sit around and blame the Big Oil companies, but nobody will ever point to themselves and their elected representatives.

Did we not regulate the industry? Did we not make the laws through our elected representatives that there will be no R&D? Did we not block freedom that has always made this country prosper?

I am just tired of people blaming everyone else like the Big mean Oil companies instead of looking at the obvious.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

What laws are you talking about that prevent R&D. I have never heard of these laws? I agree the industry should not be regulated. The point of the article is to allow the oil companys to raise their prices so that alternative methoeds are competative.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Howard Fisher said...

"The point of the article is to allow the oil companys to raise their prices so that alternative methoeds are competative."

Exactly. But they are so regulated that we can not go out and get more oil. New theories are arguing that oil is not quite what we used to think. It may be a substance that is produced naturally by the earth. Scientists are now seeing oceans of this stuff under ground. Let's go get it.

But truth be known, or the dirty little secret, the Left in this country do not want us to use oil. Not because they are environment friendly, but because they are anti-capitalists. They hate us being a Super power. They hate our freedom to be the best we can be.

A great movie that has come out recently that pokes a lot of fun at this is The Incredibles. It truly is a slap in the face of "modern liberalism".

God Bless

2:12 PM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

I am all for the free enterprise thing. All politics aside, I am excited about renewable technology. I want to see oil fail, but not from any political view. Strickly from a stance that likes to see new technology evolve. Oil is just so unefficient. Did you know that yor car uses only 60% of the usable energy. 40% goes right out your tail pipe. This is the only purpose of the cataletic converter in your exsaust. It burns 40% of the energy in the gas prior to release. Diesels are much more effiecent (use approx 90%), but are much more expensive to manufacture due to the high tolerances of its engine. Mercedes had the right Idea, there old diesel cars used to get 40 to 50 M.P.H., but high cost of manufacturing desiel engines even caught up with them. Bottom line, high oil cost will finally bring out alternative energy. The government should stay out of it completely. This process will happen on its own. If oil companys can find more oil to bring the price down - so be it. It will happen eventually. Perhaps 100 years from now, but it will. I disagree with your view that oil is somewhat renewable. I understand your looking at it from a young earth view. I think oil is a fossil fuel and haven't heard any good evidence to the contrary.

6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home