Saturday, April 29, 2006

Depressed about Dafur

Its time for the UN to send troops into Dafur. This story is very complicated. Its tough to really know all the facts that get filtered through our western media. As Americans, we want so much to pick the good guys and bad guys out of any conflict. Every time I read about Dafur I try to pick out who should be delt with to put an end to this. Is it the Sudanese government? They swear they are not in cahoots with the Janjaweed. They are sending out police forces to keep the peace, so they say. The Janjaweed? They would seem like a favorite, since they are mainly Arabs and are accused of most of the war crimes including rape and murder. The SLA or JEM rebel groups? After all they started the escallation of this war right? What made them rebels in the first place? These conflicts have been going on for 20 years now. In 2003 it finally rose to what many are calling genocide. I honestly don't know what the answer or solution is. I don't know who is to blame. I am not a really into the United States getting involved in something that doesn't involve our national security, but if indeed 400,000 people have been killed then we can't keep looking the other way. Although this should not be led by the U.S. It should be led by the UN. Problem is the U.N. investigators say the genocide is not happening, just war crimes. Well isn't war crimes enough? Is one of the purposes of the U.N. to stop war crimes. We are not talking about a couple of Iraqis or Al Queda being slapped around in an interrigation room here. Were talking about the real thing.
Now the violence of the Janjaweed is spilling over into Chad. There are 200,000 refuges from Sudan now in neighboring Chad. It is being reported that the Janjaweed are raiding villages there now too. If you want to put it in black and white terms it seems to me if the U.N. put together a coalition of troops and stop the Janjaweed from continuing their raids, this would be the place to start. Although many Arabs appear close in appearance to the black africans, even that may not be as easy as it sounds. But at least their presence could put a stop to the violence. I honestly can't say this is the right answer. But something should be tried. I know there are people that understand the situation much better than I, that can lead some effort. One thing I do know, is that if you don't address the root cause of the situation, it will come back again. One of the root causes is lack of resources to live on, and the other is lack of organization from the government of Sudan in enforcing laws and protecting what did belong to people. How do you make a government fix that? The more I think about it, the more hopeless I become about it, but we shouldn't give up. Thank God My children live in the USA
Its always a good time for a couple of Massachusett congressmen to get some good publicity
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/04/29/2_bay_state_congressmen_arrested_at_sudan_protest/

2 Comments:

Blogger Howard Fisher said...

I think one solution is simply out of the question. The solution being the UN. They simply have no ability to do anything. It is an organization run by dictators and thugs.

Dictators and thugs have no interest in stopping the violence and horror going on in Sudan. I agree something must be done. But I, like you, do not fully understand the situation and feel powerless.

I have heard from Christian Missionary magazines the situation for Christian converts is very bad. Groups of men rounded up into huts and set on fire.

I agree that it is a good thing to live in America. The sufferings I endure here pale in comparison.

Perhaps some of those Iraq War protesters that claim to be Christian would go there. Somehow, I suspect if it doesn't make Bush look bad, they probably won't do it.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

Perhaps your right about the U.N. And trust me,I am not one for interfering with other countries affairs, but his seems to be the exception. I know this will sound racist, but it seems that the Arabs(Janjaweed) once again show their true colors.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home