Thursday, April 27, 2006

First Words?

If you could see Lilly's smile. How it lights up a room and any heart thats within visual distance. Her mouth gaping wide open. Open large enough for a scream, but not screaming. At the same time her cheeks pulled way up, letting you know her delight in seeing you. Doesn't matter how tired I am or grumpy. Her smile....wow. Perhaps its because in seems unrealistic that another person could even be this happy to see you,.....but she is. Oh how I miss her during the day. She doesn't understand daddy has to work all day. Does she think about me in my absence? Like I think about her and the smile that pulls me out of any misery. She greets everyone with that same mouth wide open smile.
Some day she will meet someone mean, and she will stop greating all she meets with that smile. I loath that day. For now I shall enjoy.
I repeated "ma ma" over and over to her, not expecting any response. Then she made an expression I had never seen before. As if she was reaching back. Like Roger Clemens in the bottom of the 7th, pitch count 108, 2 outs 2 strikes, he knows its his last batter of the night, so he reaches back for one last 95 mile an hour fastball. Well, I tell you Lilly reached back, her gears churning. Her face straining to use muscles it hadn't used before. Then out it came "ma ma". Well it was more of a cross between "ma ma" and "ba ba", but is was close enough for me. She was trying so hard. Her face looked like she was trying to swallow a whole lizard squirming in her throat as she mustered out her hard earned words. I was so proud. I called my daughter Danielle in from the next room. "Watch this" I explained, but no repeat would Lilly perform. Minutes later her Grandmother soon followed by her mother. I told the story of what I heard to be Lillys first words. I was dismissed as perhaps insane by all family memebers as I repeated "ma ma" to Lilly trying desperately not to be looked at as a fantasy filled father with ears that make up baby words. Lilly not even interested in looking at me now with a room full of choices of people, made her usual cooing sounds. Lilly had struck me out. I was left to go back to the dugout of shame.
She will soon repeat these words for all to hear. What do I say then? I told you so? sounding like a 8 year old jerk? Truely in my heart, I hope my wife forgets I even told her about it. This way she will be the first one to hear Lilly say her name. This is what Jesus teaches. But just by writing this I am breaking his rule of "do not let the left hand know what the right hand does" (or vise versa?), since I am letting all of you know. If my wife reads this then I am definitly breaking the rule. But if she does read this, then at least she'll know who heard Lillys first words. Nah Nah

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop breaking the rules.

6:55 AM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

It is so cute when they are ready to say their first words. I love that.
I'm glad the babies are doing well...and Lilly will say LOTS of words that her mommy will hear first.

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home