Saturday, January 07, 2006

Bug Eyed Boy


Black and white pictures have a way of capturing a moment that a color picture just can't do justice sometimes. I am very proud of this picture. Not because I am some kind of photographer, because I'm not. It took me about 40 shots to get this one. But because I think it is the first picture that shows some of Joshuas personality. He is a sweet boy. Sits in his bouncy chair all day not making a peep, while his sister cries unless she is held for every moment. When he does cry (only if he is hungry), his cry is this soft, delicate cry. Not a loud cry at all. One you could easily sleep through for 10 or 15 minutes before you notice it. He actually says the word "waaahhh" as he cries, but he does so with a soft tone and a tenderness that will break your soul. His cry sounds more like the love of his life just broke up with him or he just lost his best friend and he is crying alone in his room, not for anyone else to hear. Most of his time is not spent crying though, he is a very content little guy. I feel bad sometimes that his sister gets more attention than him because she will let out her cries when just the least bit uncomfortable. While she is being pampered, he waits patiently for someone to pick him up and spread some attention his way. So look at this little boys face staring back at you, he is ever so grateful to have someone lugging him around, fixing his next meal for him, while someone else is saying his name trying to get a good picture. His patience has paid off and he knows his mother will hold him tight while he sucks his nourishment and stares at her face.
I saw his very first smile while I plucked his bottom lip like a guitar string. He gave it just to me. The very first smile a new man gives to any human alive, and he gave it to me. I tried to share it with my wife, but he wouldn't have it. I guess it was my gift alone. I have no picture of that. Nor do I need one. Not even a 100 mega pixel camera could show you the gift Josh gave to me. The gift of his very first smile.

4 Comments:

Blogger Howard Fisher said...

Good pic bro. I just saw ours yesterday on a sonagram. He waved. Or rather he was saying go away. Those are pretty special moments.

God Bless

Howard

7:16 AM  
Blogger Jim Fisher said...

It just hit me, that we will actually have kids the same age for the first time. You need to move back to Mass, so they can play together. God knows, I'm not comming to Kansas.

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful, well written. You've captured Joshua's heart so well -- I've never met him but feel I know him a bit through what you've written. What a nice tribute to this patient little soul.

One of my favorite sayings is "An empty can rattles loudly." You've done a great job of giving a voice to this solid little can of wonder.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Kendra Lynn said...

Boy, is he cute! That first smile is AWFULLY special, isn't it?
And just about every smile afterwards is special, too.
Enjoy them!

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home